Sunday, February 17, 2008

Prologue: The road to not sucking

I came up with a great idea yesterday.

Well, maybe great is a harsh word. A great idea would be something more along the line of writing a whole best selling novel. That would be truly great.

No, this idea is maybe more along the lines of moderately decent, or somewhat palpable.

Let's just say I'm shooting for one or two percentage points above mediocrity with this one.

So yesterday, I'm sitting in Center City Philadelphia all by my lonesome. I'm at Holt's Cigar Company enjoying a nice Padron Palmas. I got a whole big leather couch all to myself in their smoking lounge around 4pm (just including the links so you can get a visual of what I speak of). Life was pretty good. I was pretty mellow, and enjoying every second of it.

It hit me while I was in the middle of my tobacco induced haze. It's stuff like this I should be writing about from now on.

I should be writing reviews of places. I should be writing reviews of food. I should be writing reviews of goods I've used. I should be writing about my opinions on how the good life should be led.

Now, I'm not suggesting that I should be telling you all how to live your lives. I'm not a qualified life coach. Hell, you're all free to foul up your lives however you wish as far as I am concerned. Far be it from me to judge or to tell you you're doing it wrong. I'm not that smart.

I'm also not suggesting that I am any sort of expert on this stuff. I'm not a professional reviewer of stuff by any means. I haven't been to a lot of places in my life. Hell, I haven't even been off this continent yet. So I'm not overly worldly here.

But I have done a few things in my life. I have opinions on places I've been. I have opinions on things I've done. I have opinions on restaurants, lounges, wine, cigars, products, cities, etc.

This idea was based on a few things. One of the main things is that way back in the day I had a different kind of website before I did this blog stuff. And on that website of mine, which is now defunct, I used to have a restaurant review page. (I've been to more than one restaurant in my life... big shock to those who know me well.)

Why did I do it? No real reason other than curing boredom. But what I noticed is that besides all the other crap I had on my page, that particular page got the most views of anything I had. I must have been doing something right.

I'll be doing stuff like that here. But I'll also throw in other things. I'll try to appeal to everyone, which is damn near impossible to do. And I won't limit myself to reviews of particular places or things. Every now and then, you might get my take on things we all do in life, like traveling.

This blog just might not suck. Then again, it could. But I'll try to keep it out of the suck.

I had trouble coming up with ideas on my old blog. But I have a better feeling that more ideas will come to me here. Maybe.

And feel free to disagree with me or tell me I'm a moron here. Hell, you might have a different opinion on the stuff I talk about. Share it, please.

Come with me, and let's not suck together.

4 comments:

El Padrino said...

i'm on board
just kill the bright Sprite theme
my fucking eyes hurt

Anonymous said...

Why the word verification?

The Rev said...

ElP... done!

Meiz... I don't know. It's gone now.

Los said...

Why a separate blog for this? Couldn't you do this on your other blog? Seriously.